Sunday, August 16, 2009

I will miss you girls


Auntie Jess loved this video so that she made the poor child, the Kindred Spirit, sit through it about 100 times. Listen enough and you'll be singing it yourself on the way to work, in the grocery market...and then realize you're about 3 decades too old to be singing this without appearing to be a complete nut job.

In the past two years, I have spent every weekend possible around my little Kindred Spirit, and in the last three months the newest addition, my little Kindred Soul. Funny, but as simple as these videos are, watching them with my niece, singing together, smiling at one another, and dancing around...these moments have brought the biggest joy to my life.

When we found out my sister was expecting the Kindred Spirit, we were all ecstatic. I am fairly certain every paycheck of mine was entirely directly deposited to Babies R Us that first year. I couldn't wait to see my sister and brother in law become the parents they were so eager to be as well as myself to become an aunt.

The day she was born, looking at her in the hospital, seeing my little sister as a mom, I couldn't help but cry...it was the best moment. I think it took me two days to be able to finally look at the Kindred Spirit without tearing up. My brother in law is an amazing father that any child would be so fortunate to call dad. My sister, the same...attentive, consistent, loving and selfless. I have really felt blessed to watch them grow into their role as parents as well as see the home they've created for the girls.

From day one, anyone who has been around me, whether it be for 5 minutes or the past few years, knows about my niece. I've felt a bond with this girl that I cannot begin to adequately describe.

My sister and I were blessed to have an aunt in our lives as we grew up. Though we didn't see her often, when we did, no time had passed. She exemplified the character of who I always wanted to be, both as a person and as an aunt. She was loving, gentle, had the greatest sense of humor, a child like inner spirit, and a faith in something greater which radiated until the day she left this Earth. It is in remembering the traits and qualities I saw in her that I hope to provide for my nieces. Like our aunt...though I may not be down the street, in the same town, or state for that matter, the greatest hope I have is that wherever these girls may go, and as they grow up, they'll always know how proud I am to be their aunt.

I love you.

No comments: